Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Vermillion


Fort Vermilion, a name applied to three fur-trading posts of the North West and Hudson's Bay Companies. The first was a fort, sometimes known as the "Old Establishment", built in 1798 on the north bank of the Peace river, near the mouth of the Boyer river. After the union of 1821, this post was taken over by the Hudson's Bay Company; and was later removed about five miles upstream from the mouth of Boyer river, where it is still in operation. The other two were closely adjoining posts of the North West Company and the Hudson's Bay Company, built in 1808 on the North Saskatchewan river, opposite the mouth of Vermilion river, Alberta. In 1810 both these forts were abandoned, and new forts were built about 87 miles upstream.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 378. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College