Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Ste. Marie


Fort Ste. Marie, a fortified mission built by the Jesuits in 1639 near the mouth of the river Wye, on Georgian bay, not far from the present site of Midland, Ontario. Remains of its masonry are still to be seen, and have been marked by the National Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. The Jesuits were forced by the Iroquois to burn and abandon the fort in 1649; and it was rebuilt on Christian island, but was abandoned in 1650. See A. E. Jones, Old Huronia (Fifth Report of the Bureau of Archives, Ontario, 1908).

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 375. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College