Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Charnisay


Fort Charnisay, a fort built by Charnisay, governor of Acadia, at the mouth of the St. John river, and on the west side of St. John harbour, in 1645. It was rebuilt by Villebon in 1698, and was restored by Boishébert in 1751. In 1758 General Monckton rebuilt it for the British, and named it Fort Frederick. This fort was destroyed by the Americans in 1775. It was rebuilt in 1778, and named Fort Howe. It was finally abandoned in 1821, and the site is now known as "the old fort".

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 366.



© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College