Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Chambly


Fort Chambly, a military post eight miles south-east of Montreal, on a promontory near the mouth of the Richelieu river. It was first built of wood by Jacques de Chambly, an officer in the Carignan regiment, in 1665, and was designed as a defence against the Iroquois to the south. Having been burnt by the Indians in 1702, it was rebuilt of stone in 1709-11. It was captured by the English in 1760, and by the Americans in 1775, but was retaken by the English in 1776. It is still in good preservation, and is administered by the National Parks Branch of the Canadian government. See B. Sulte and G. Malchelosse, Le Fort de Chambly (Montreal, 1922).

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 366.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College