Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
June 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia




Farnham, a town in Missisquoi county, Quebec, on the Yamaska river and on the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific Railways, 17 miles from St. Johns, and 43 miles from Montreal East. It was incorporated as a town in 1876, and its name is taken from the little town of Farnham in Surrey, England. It is an important industrial, commercial, and railway centre, and its principal establishments are a beet-sugar refinery, a peat bog, a large creamery, an experimental tobacco farm controlled by the federal government, and several mills and factories. It has an intermediate school and it publishes two weekly newspapers, Leader and Missisquoi; the latter is bilingual.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 320.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College