Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
June 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


East Broughton


East Broughton , a town in Beauce county, Quebec, is situated on the Quebec Central Railway, 50 miles south of Quebec city. The register of the parish opened in the year 1871. The name East Broughton was given to the first station on the railway constructed in the parish, after a town in Lancashire, England. There are amianth and asbestos mines in the vicinity, but the main work of the inhabitants of the parish is lumbering, cultivating the land, and, in the spring, the making-of maple sugar.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada , 1948, 411p., pp. 256-257.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College