Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
April 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia




Dawson , a city in the Yukon district, at the junction of the Yukon and Klondyke rivers, and on the Klondyke Mines Railway. It was formerly known as Dawson City, and was named after George M. Dawson, director of the Geological Survey of Canada, and explorer of the Stikine, Dease, and other Yukon rivers. It sprang up at the time of the Klondyke "gold rush" of 1898; and at the height of the "rush" had a population of more than 10,000. With the decline of the Yukon gold-fields, it has greatly decreased in size and importance. It is the seat of the territorial government of the Yukon , and is still the trading-centre of the region. It has two schools, a hospital, and a daily newspaper (News). From June to October the steamers of the White Pass and Yukon route connect it with White Horse, 460 miles distant. During the winter months, it is served by stages, drawn by horses; and dog-teams are still used by the Indians and prospectors, by hunters and trappers.

Source: W. Stewart Wallace, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 186.

© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College