Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
March 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Château de Ramezay


Château de Ramezay, an historical museum in Notre Dame street, Montreal. The building dates from 1705, when it was built by Claude de Ramezay, governor of Montreal, as his residence. After the British conquest, it became until 1849 the official residence in Montreal of the governor-in-chief of British North America. At the time of the American invasion in 1774-5, it was the headquarters of the Americans. After 1849 it was used successively as government offices, as a court-house, and as a school. In 1894 it was bought by the Numismatic and Antiquarian Society of Montreal, and converted into an historical museum and portrait gallery.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 39.



© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College