Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
March 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia




Charlesbourg, a village in Quebec county, Quebec, overlooking the St. Charles river, 5 miles north of the city of Quebec, on the Canadian National Railway. The village was incorporated only in 1914, but it is in one of the oldest parishes of Quebec. It comprises part of a seigniory granted to the Jesuits in 1626, and it was first settled in 1659. Its earlier name was Bourg Royal, but the name was changed to Charlesbourg, in honour of St. Charles Borromée, its patron saint. The village and its neighbourhood contain many interesting old houses, some of them more than 200 years old. See J. Trudelle, Charlesbourg (Quebec, 1896).

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 36.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College