Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
March 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia




Chambly, a county in southern Quebec, lies opposite the island of Montreal, on the east side of the St. Lawrence river, and is bounded on the south-east by the Richelieu river. County town, Longueuil. Pop. 32,454 [in 1948].


Chambly , a town in Chambly county, Quebec, on the Richelieu river and the Canadian National, 20 miles from Montreal. It is named after Captain Jacques de Chambly, to whom the seigniory of Chambly was granted in 1672. It comprises three separate municipalities, Chambly Basin, Chambly Canton, and the parish of Chambly. Chambly Fort was first built in 1665; and the place was a strategic point in the defence of New France against the English and the Iroquois. It was captured by the invading Americans in 1775, and burnt when they retired in June, 1776. In 1880 the Canadian government undertook its restoration. The combined population of the three municipalities is 2,608 [in 1948], of which Chambly Basin has 1,423 and Chambly Canton, 1,185. The population of the parish is almost wholly French-Canadian.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 30.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College