Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
March 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia




Cataraqui, the site at the junction of the Cataraqui river and lake Ontario where La Salle built, in 1673, Fort Frontenac, and where the city of Kingston now stands. The name is derived from the Iroquois Katarakne, which means "the place where one hides." See L. Gérin, Cataraqui, Fort Frontenac, Kingston (Trans, Roy. Soc. Can., 1933).


Cataraqui river, in Frontenac county, Ontario, flows into the St. Lawrence river at Kingston. It forms part of the Rideau canal system.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 13.



© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College