Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


John Smith Archibald


Architect, 326 Beaver Hall Hill, Montreal, established 1897. Born Inverness, Scotland, Dec. 14th, 1872, son of David Archibald and Mary Fettes Smith, of Brechin, Scotland. Educated: High School, Inverness . Married Rose Edith Thurston, Dec. 6th, 1899; has two sons and one daughter. Director, Detroit United Railway; Director, Windsor Hotel, Montreal; Director, Province of Quebec Fish and Game Assoc.; Member, Montreal Tramways Commission; Member, Montreal Board of Trade. Entered Canada , May 4th, 1893 . Student and Draughtsman with W. MacIntosh, In­verness, 1887-1893; Draughtsman and Assistant to E. Maxwell, of Montreal, 1893 to 1897; commenced practice, Saxe & Archibald, Montreal, 1897; became Member of the Province of Quebec Association of Architects, Montreal, 1898; Member of Council of above, 1898-1909. President, P.Q.A.A., 1905; Member of Permanent Committee of International Congress of Architects since 1906. Firm of Saxe & Archibald dissolved and began practice in own name in 1915. Archi­tect for the following works: - Montreal Technical School, Sherbrooke St., for the Provincial Government; ten-storey Office Building, Notre Dame St., Montreal, for La Sauvegarde Insurance Co.; High School, St. Urbain St., for the Protestant Board of School Commissioners; ten-storey Office Building, St. James Street, for the Yorkshire Insurance Co.; Apartment Buildings: "The Metcalf"; "The Bishop Court"; "The Cavendish". Consulting Architect in building of the C.N.R. Tunnel under the Mountain; Warehouse, Montreal , for the Quebec Liquor Commission. Clubs: St. James's ( Montreal ); St. Denis; Montreal Reform; Shawinigan Fish and Game. Society: A.F. & A.M., 1906. Recrea­tions: Fishing and hunting. Residence: 4278 Dorchester St., W., Westmount, Que.


Source: Prominent People of the Province of Quebec, 1923-24, Montreal, Biographical Society of Canada, Limited, undated and unpaginated.



© 2004 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College