Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Lieut.-Col. Hon. George Élie Amyot, M.L.C.


President, Dominion Corset Co., Quebec, with branches throughout Canada, Australia and New Zealand. President, Quebec Paper Box Co.; President, Canada Corset Steel & Wire Company; President of "La Banque Nationale;" Vice-President of "La Caisse d'Économie" de N-D de Québec. Born Quebec, Jan. 28, 1856, son of Dominique and Louise (Nolin) Amyot de Larpinière (Seigneurie de Vincelot 1678). Founder Dominion Corset Co., 1886. Entire plant burnt out on May 27, 1911. Immediately rebuilt on larger scale. Founder, Fox Head Brewery Co, 1895; Director, Quebec Technical School; Governor, Laval University Funds; Ex-President, Quebec Board of Trade; Ex-President, Quebec Branch, Canadian Manufacturers' Association; unsuccessful candidate to House of Commons for Quebec County, 1906; presented to the Province of Quebec a monument to the French-Canadian Historian Garneau, by Chèvre, Sculptor, erected on the Parliament Grounds, October, 1912; appointed to Legislative Council for the division of De La Durantaye, Dec. 18, 1911; Honorary Lieut-Colonel, 61st Regiment; presented to His Majesty King Edward VII, and Queen Alexandra, May, 1905; had a private audience with His Holiness Pope Pius X., May, 1911; received officially in Quebec, His Royal Highness Duke of Connaught and his suite, July 7, 1914; President, Quebec Branch, St. John Ambulance Assoc.; created by His Majesty King George V., Knight of Grace of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem in England, July 28, 1914. Married Marie-Joséphine Tanguay, Quebec , 1881; has two sons and three daughters. Clubs: Garrison; National ( Toronto ). Recreations: Driving, riding, motor touring, golfing. Liberal. Roman Catholic. Residence: 42 Chemin Ste. Foy, Québec, Que.


Source: Prominent People of the Province of Quebec, 1923-24 , Montreal , Biographical Society of Canada, Limited, undated and unpaginated. Correct French spelling and accents have been restored.



© 2004 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College