Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2008

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Sisters of Ste. Jeanne d'Arc


Sisters of Ste. Jeanne d'Arc. The Congregation of the Sisters of Ste. Jeanne d'Arc was founded on Christmas day, 1914, at Worcester, Massachusetts, by the Rev. Father M. Clement, A.A. Three years later (on September 29, 1917), the centre of the Congregation was transferred to Quebec. The follow­ing year, the mother-house was estab­lished at Bergerville, near Quebec. The Congregation devotes itself to the sanc­tification of its members and the spiri­tual and temporal service of the priest­hood. It serves the priesthood in a spiritual way by prayer and in a material way by taking charge of domestic work in rectories, seminaries, ecclesias­tical colleges, and apostolic schools. The Institute is ready to accept houses in which aged or retired priests may live a life of prayer and of peace, re­ceiving the care which their age and condition of health demand. The Insti­tute has 56 foundations, with 272 Sisters, of whom 233 are professed.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Volume VI, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 398p., p. 17.

© 2008 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College