Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2008

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Sisters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart


Sisters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. The Congregation of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was founded on February 17, 1924, by the bishop of St. John, New Brunswick. It is a detached branch of the English-speaking com­munity of the Reverend Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception, founded in 1854 by Bishop Connolly (q.v.), then bishop of St. John. On February 17, 1924, the new congre­gation was recognized by Rome under the name of "Our Lady of the Sacred Heart". It is now composed of over 200 sisters, and operates several board­ing-schools and day-schools, where both the provinces of Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Al­berta, and British Columbia. Their headquarters are in Toronto.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Volume VI, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 398p., p. 15.

© 2008 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College