Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2008

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Sisters of Our Lady of Holy Rosary


Sisters of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary. The Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary was founded in 1874 in the city of Rimouski, by the Most Rev. J. Langevin, first bishop of the diocese of Rimouski, and Elizabeth Turgeon, with the special aim of the Christian instruction and education of children in parochial schools. The Sisters of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary are now directing 33 schools distributed in the dioceses of Rimouski, Gaspé, Quebec, and Chicou­timi, in Canada, and Portland, Maine, in the United States. Everywhere they settle they prove very helpful to all parochial works : not only do they teach, but they also take special care to impart to young girls domestic economy both theoretically and practically. Moreover, they are helpful to the clergy by taking care of the sacristy and altar linens.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Volume VI, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 398p., p. 14.

© 2008 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College