Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2008

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Sisters of Our Lady of Good Counsel


Sisters of Our Lady of Good Counsel. The Institute of the Sisters of Our Lady of Good Counsel was founded in Canada in 1894. The foundress and first superior was Frances Simard, a pious person possessing the qualities required for this purpose. The congregation comprises sisters devoting their life to the instruction of children, and lay sisters occupied with domestic work, without any difference regarding rank or habits. The teaching sisters study to form the heart and mind of their scholars by inculcating in them principles of Christian life. When leav­ing school, students are prepared to represent Catholic thought, to develop personally along Catholic lines, and to live up to their belief. The Institute numbers at present 334 professed sisters and 43 novices and postulants. It has 36 mission houses located in the counties of Quebec, Saguenay, and Lake St. John. There are 4,335 children taught in the 16 convents, under the control of the Catholic Committee of Public Instruc­tion.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Volume VI, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 398p., p. 13.

© 2008 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College