Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2008

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Sisters of Our Lady of Good Counsel


Sisters of Our Lady of Good Counsel. This sisterhood was founded and erected canonically in 1923 by Mgr. Gauthier, coadjutor archbishop of Montreal, with the approbation of the Sacred Congregation of Religious Institutions, and the blessing of Pope Pius XI. The members are trained to become competent in several employ­ments, such as (a) domestic and industrial occupations; (b) such social service works as hostels, free employment bureaux, and recreational centres for young girls; (c) educational works of a three-fold character, religions, social, and home-making, through study guilds, evening classes, etc. The object of these Sisters is to offer their fellow-women in different walks of life the opportunity of acquiring what their early training may have lacked; and to help them toremain staunch in their faith, and better able to do their part in the lay­apostolate that each one is called upon to exercise in, her own sphere. The Sisters help the parochial clergy in organizing groups of feminine Catholic Action, or in training its leaders. The mother-house is situated at 5035 De­Laroche Street, Montreal. The Sisters have also been actively engaged since 1930 in the towns of St. Jérôme and St. Hyacinthe, Quebec.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Volume VI, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 398p., p. 13.

© 2008 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College