Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2008

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Sisters of Our Lady of Angels


Sisters of Our Lady of Angels. This Institute was founded in 1919, by Mlle. Florina Gervais (Mother Marie du Sacré-Coeur), who is still alive. Its aim was to offer to Chinese girls the advantage of religious apostolic life. The Institute has 4 houses in Canada: the mother-house, at Lennoxville, Que-bec; the Home of Our Lady of Angels, at Victoriaville; a school at Beebe Plain in China; and it has 8 mission stations. The Chinese and Canadian Sisters are occupied in the following works in their different Missions : Six dispensaries, two orphanages, three cribs, two normal schools, three English schools, and two workhouses. On an average, the Sisters care for over 300,000 sick per annum.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Volume VI, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 398p., p. 12.

© 2008 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College