Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
January 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia




Lauzon, a town in Lévis county, Quebec, on the St. Lawrence river opposite the end of the island of Orleans, and on the Canadian National Railway. Christened Pointe de Lévy by Champlain in 1625, in honour of Henry de Lévy, Duc de Ventadour, Viceroy of New France, it adopted its present name in 1867, when it was established as a village, in memory of jean de Lauzon, governor of New France (1651-6), to whom was granted the seigniory of Lauzon in 1636. Lauzon was incorporated a town in 1910. The principal industry of the town is the building and repairing of ships, and it has a dry-dock, 1,150 feet in length, and several saw mills and sash and door factories. There is also a good commercial college and a convent in the town.

Source : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. IV, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 394p., p. 1.



© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College