23 August 2000
Guide to Essay Writing and Research
Essay Evaluation Scheme
- Your term paper will be evaluated out of 100 on a sheet designed
specifically for that purpose. You will receive this sheet, along
with your term paper and my comments some weeks after the papers have
- Three aspects will be equally assessed in judging your paper. These
- Presentation and Writing (33%);
- Research (33%);
- the quality of the argument conducted (34%).
The following lists what each part contains:
- Writing and Presentation: Title page well made; general appearance
of your Paper; adherence to the rules set out in my Guide for Essay
Writing and in the Notes on Scholarly
Style; the Introduction: problem well defined, thesis outlined
clearly and briefly, factors to be examined well outlined, suitable
length; the Conclusion: arguments well summarized; Writing: grammar,
spelling, punctuation, use of precise, exact language; clear, elegant
sentences, good flow between paragraphs; maintaining the right tone;
unity in paragraphs.
- The Research: Bibliography is well made, contains the best
sources on the subject; footnotes are well made and accurate; evidence
is presented when necessary; use and understanding of the sources;
reliance on a wide variety of sources; extensiveness and accuracy
of information; use and appropriateness of tables, charts, graphs
etc...; good integration of class and office material; consultation
with the teacher.
- The arguments: Do you follow a good plan? Is there a logical
and coherent flow; are all relevant aspects included; is the argument
complete, taken to its conclusion; appropriate weight given to the
arguments, showing judgement; adhering to your purpose; applying critical
thinking; not too descriptive, superficial, repetitive or contradictory;
convincing and compelling.