Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
June 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Rouge


Fort Rouge, a fort built by La Vérendrye in 1734-5 on the south side of the Assiniboine river, at its junction with the Red river. It was deserted before 1737; but Legardeur de St. Pierre wintered there in 1751-2, while he was building a fort on the north side of the Assiniboine. Near the site of these forts, later trading-posts were built by Bruce and Boyer in 1780 and by Alexander Henry the younger in 1803, as well as Fort Gibraltar in 1807. See C. N. Bell, The old forts of Winnipeg (Transactions of the Historical and Scientific Society of Manitoba, new series, vol. iii, 1927).

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 375. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College