Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Gibraltar


Fort Gibraltar, an important post of the North West Company built in 1805 by John Macdonald of Garth at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine rivers. He named it Gibraltar, "though there was not a rock or stone within three miles". It was opposite the site of the old French Fort Rouge, and on the site of a post built by Legardeur de St. Pierre in 1751. In 1816 it was captured and demolished by Robert Semple; and in 1822 it was replaced by Fort Garry. See C. N. Bell, The old forts of Winnipeg (Transactions of the Historical and Scientific Society of Manitoba, new series, vol. iii, 1927).

Source : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 370. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College