Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2008

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Sisters of Charity of St. Louis


Sisters of Charity of St. Louis. This congregation was founded in Brittany, in 1803, for the education of poor girls in orphanages and parochial schools. In 1903, the Sisters came to Canada, where they met with a hospitable reception and spread very rapidly. In 1946, the Canadian province adminis­tered 50 houses distributed from Quebec city to Calgary, Alberta. In 1910, the Congregation inaugurated its educa­tional activities in the United States of America. The Canadian mother-house is at Bienville, Lévis, Quebec.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Volume VI, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 398p., p. 10.

© 2008 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College