Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
January 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Town of Nicolet


Nicolet, a town in Nicolet and Yamaska county, Quebec, on the Nicolet river and the Canadian National Railway, 10 miles north of Three Rivers. The river, after which the town is named, was called "Du Pont" by Champlain, but was later renamed after Jean Nicolet, the explorer. The town is the centre of the Nicolet diocese, and contains a Roman Catholic cathedral. There is a normal school, a seminary, a boarding school, a commercial academy, a court house, and a hospital. The three largest manufacturing concerns in the town are an optical company, a construction company, and a knitting mill.

Source: W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. V, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 401p., pp. 7.

© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College