Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia




Giffard, a village in Quebec county, Quebec, on the bank of the St. Lawrence river, 4 miles from Quebec city, and 1 mile from Beauport, the nearest railway station, which is served by the Quebec Electric Railway. It was named in honour of Robert Giffard, to whom the seigniory of Beauport, from which the village was detached in 1912, was granted in 1634. General farming and market-gardening are the chief occupations of the inhabitants of the village.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. III, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 396p., p. 30.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College