Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Toronto


Fort Toronto, a fur-trading post erected by the French on the north shore of lake Ontario, near the mouth of the Humber river, to prevent the Indians who crossed the Toronto portage from lake Huron from going to trade with the English at Fort Oswego. The first post was built in 1720, but was abandoned in 1730. The second was built at the mouth of the Humber river in 1750, but was discarded in 1751 for a larger fort built on what is now the site of the Exhibition Grounds at Toronto. This fort, which was officially known as Fort Rouillé, but more generally as Fort Toronto, was burned in 1759 to prevent it falling into the hands of the English. See Percy J. Robinson, Toronto during the French régime (Toronto, 1934).

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., pp. 377-378. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College