Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort St. John


Fort St. John, a fur-trading post built by the North West Company in 1805 on the left or north bank of the Peace river, a few miles below the mouth of Pine river, and 100 miles above Dunvegan. In the autumn of 1823 this post, which had been taken over by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1821, was sacked by the Indians; and in 1833 it was described as in ruins and deserted. In 1860 it was rebuilt by the Hudson's Bay Company on the south bank of Peace river, at the mouth of North Pine river; in 1873 it was moved to the north bank opposite; in 1885 it was moved back to the south shore; and in 1925 the present post was erected at the beginning of the Sikanny Trail.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 376. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College