Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort St. Pierre


Fort St. Pierre, a fur-trading post built in 1731 by La Jemeraye for La Vérendrye at the outlet of Rainy lake, and about two miles east of the present Fort Frances. It was abandoned before 1756; but after the British conquest the North West Company erected on its site the post known as Fort Rainy Lake or Fort Lac la Pluie.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 376. 



© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College