L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia
Fort St. Louis
Fort St. Louis . There were several forts or trading-posts of this name in Canada or its dependencies:
(1) A post built by the French in 1684 on the Illinois river, near the site of the present town of Utica, Illinois. It was abandoned by 1755.
(2) A post built by La Vérendrye in 1748 on the Saskatchewan river, about 12 miles below the Forks of the Saskatchewan. It was renamed Fort à la Corne in 1753.
(3) A North West Company post on the Saskatchewan river a few miles above Fort à la Corne, so called from its proximity to the old French post. It was abandoned in 1805.
(4) A fort built by the French in 1683 on the site of La Salle's Fort Crèvecoeur, on the left bank of the Illinois river, about 60 miles from its junction with the Mississippi, on the site of the present Starved Rock.
(5) Moose Factory was known as Fort St. Louis from 1686 to 1696, when in possession of the French.
Source : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada , 1948, 411p., p. 376.
© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College