Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Severn


Fort Severn, a Hudson's Bay Company post on Hudson bay, at the mouth of the Severn river. It was built in 1685, but was burned in 1689 to prevent its capture by the French. In 1691 the French constructed near the mouth of the Severn river a new fort, named Fort Ste. Thérèse. This was captured by the English in 1693, but was retaken by the French in 1694, and was removed by them in 1701-2 to the opposite side of the river. This fort was handed over to the Hudson's Bay Company under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, but was abandoned by them in 1714. In 1759, however, the present fort was built by the Company on the north bank of the Severn river, near its mouth; and it has been in continuous operation from that date to the present.


Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 377. 

© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College