Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Natashquan


Fort Natashquan, an old French trading-post built prior to 1710 on the north shore of the St. Lawrence river, at the mouth of the Natashquan river. It was controlled by the seigniors of Mingan until after the British conquest; but in 1788 was apparently acquired on lease by the North West Company. It became a Hudson's Bay Company post at the time of the union of 1821, and was abandoned only about 1914.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 373. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College