Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Lennox


Fort Lennox, a British military fort built in 1812-18 on the site of Fort Ile-aux-Noix. It was named in honour of the Duke of Richmond, governor-general of Canada in 1818, whose family name was Lennox. It was captured by the Americans in 1775, but was evacuated by them in 1776; and after 1782 it was occupied continuously by a British garrison until its abandonment in 1869.

Source : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 371. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College