Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort La Reine


Fort La Reine, a French fur-trading post built by La Vérendrye in 1738 on the north bank of the Assiniboine river, near the present site of Portage la Prairie It was twice burned by the Indians, and rebuilt; but was abandoned by the French about 1757. It was visited, and perhaps used, by British traders after the conquest; and in 1796 the Hudson's Bay Company built the post of Portage la Prairie on the site of the old French fort.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 371. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College