Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Grouard


Fort Grouard, a Hudson's Bay Company post at the west end of Lesser Slave lake. It was originally built by the North West Company before 1802, and was taken over by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1821; but the present name, given in honour of Bishop Grouard, dates only from about 1900.

Source : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 370. 

© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College