Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Douglas


Fort Douglas, a Hudson's Bay Company post, built in 1812 about a mile below Fort Gibraltar on the bank of the Red river, on the site of the present city of Winnipeg, by Lord Selkirk's agents. It was captured by the half-breeds who killed Robert Semple and his companions in July, 1816, but was re-occupied by Lord Selkirk in 1817. For a number of years it was the headquarters of the governor of Assiniboia; but when the Hudson's Bay Company repurchased Lord Selkirk's interests in the Red river valley in 1835, it was sold to Robert Logan, who occupied some of the buildings until 1854. See C. N. Bell, The old forts of Winnipeg (Winnipeg, Hist. and Sci. Soc. of Manitoba, 1927).

Source : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., pp. 367-368. 


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College