Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Beauséjour


Fort Beauséjour, a French military fort built in 1751 on the neck of the Acadian peninsula, on the north bank of the Missaguash river. It was captured by the British under Monckton in 1755, and the name was changed to Fort Cumberland, since the fort is situated at the head of Cumberland bay. Fort Cumberland was strengthened in 1812, but was abandoned after the close of the War of 1812-15. It is now a national park. See J. C. Webster, The forts of Chignecto (Shediac, N.B., 1930).

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 366.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College