Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Beaubassin


Fort Beaubassin, a French fortified settlement made in 1672 at the head of Cumberland bay in Nova Scotia by some families from Port Royal. On the approach of the British forces in 1750, all the French settlers moved to Beauséjour. The English then built Fort Lawrence on or near the site of Fort Beaubassin. It was evacuated and dismantled in 1756.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 366.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College