Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Assiniboine


Fort Assiniboine; a post of the North West Company on the north side of the Assiniboine river, two miles above the mouth of the Souris river. It was built prior to 1794 to compete with the trade of the Hudson's Bay Company's Brandon House. In 1795 it was moved to the south side of the Assiniboine river, and was for a time an important post, from which the North West Company carried on its trade with the Mandans . But its trade declined after 1805, and it was discontinued in 1821. Later the name was applied to a Hudson's Bay Company fort on the north bank of Athabaska river, at the confluence of Freeman creek, about lat. 114° 45'. It was closed about 1880. The name was also applied lied sometimes to Carlton House.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 365.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College