Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Alexandria


Fort Alexandria , the name of two trading posts of the North West Company. The first was a fort built in 1780 on the west side of the Assiniboine river, near the source of the Swan river, and about five miles upstream from the later site of Fort Pelly . It was originally called Fort Tremblant and Poplar Fort; but the name was changed in honour of Sir Alexander Mackenzie. It was abandoned in 1805. The second Fort Alexandria was built before 1805 on the Fraser river, in what is now British Columbia, about 20 miles above Soda creek. It was at the farthest point reached by Sir Alexander Mackenzie in his descent of the Fraser river before he turned west to push overland to the Pacific ocean . This fort was abandoned at the time of the union of the North West and Hudson's Bay Companies in 1821.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 365.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College