Quebec History Marianopolis College

Date Published:
July 2005

L’Encyclopédie de l’histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia


Fort Abitibi


Fort Abitibi , a fur-trading post on the south-east shore of lake Abitibi, at the mouth of the Abitibi river. It was originally built by Troyes in 1686, and was regularly operated by the French till 1760. Prior to 1774 it was occupied by the Hudson's Bay Company as an outpost of Moose Factory, and it continued in operation until the building of the National Transcontinental Railway in 1914, when it was discontinued, and was superseded by La Sarre, a nearby railway station, whence the furs were shipped by rail to Montreal.

Source  : W. Stewart WALLACE, ed., The Encyclopedia of Canada, Vol. II, Toronto, University Associates of Canada, 1948, 411p., p. 364.


© 2005 Claude Bélanger, Marianopolis College